The process consists of two main steps.
First, drawings of the roof must be generated, including slopes, angles, valleys, and gables. Users must remember to draw holes for chimneys and dormers for windows in order to receive an accurate calculation of materials. The value of angles may also be changed further.
For drawing the roof plan, a specially developed toolbar is used.
Additional Toolbar in ZWCAD Customization
The original roof plan is displayed below.
Original Roof Plan
Roof Plan Prepared for Counting
Program gets next dimensions from drawing:
- Length of all ridges
- Length of all ribs (with regard to its inclination)
Length of all eaves (with regard to its inclination)
Length of all gables (with regard to its inclination)
Length of all valleys (with regard to its inclination)
Length of all contiguities between wall and other slope (with regard to its inclination)
- Summary of perimeters and squares of all holesi nthe rof design ( with regard to its inclination)
Squares of all slopes
User sees these parameters in the window "Calculation":
Dimensions on the Drawing
Second step is a choosing and counting of materials. Open the window by the button 'Project settings' and choose settings:
- Type of insulation – ‘insulated attic’, ‘cold attic’ or ’no insulation’
- Shingles collection and type of layout
- City and building type (residential or industrial)
- Insulation material (insulation thickness is counted automatically with regard to heat conduction coefficients. Further, users can change thickness)
- Wall thickness
- Overhangs of gables and eaves. Also, users has to choose materials for roof base, waterproofing and various other coefficients.
Choosing of Materials and Project Settings
After completing the drawing and choosing the materials, users can generate Excel specifications clicking the 'Specificaiton" button. The program generates a total specifications report and separate specifications reports for three types of roofs: insulated attic, cold attic, or no insulation.